Sunday, October 16, 2011

Does Album ART WORK help sales?

Artist are doing a lot of different things when putting out their albums.  The new trend in RnB/Pop albums is coming out with a "Standard" edition and a "Deluxe" edition. The Deluxe edition features a different album artwork and also a few extra tracks. For example Rihannas upcoming album "Talk That Talk" which debuts November 21, 2011.




The Standard Edition


The Deluxe Edition




Now a days. I believe having both type of albums help an artist INCREASE their album sells. Die hard fans have more reason to buy the artist album(s). From the Message board CyberTLC that I frequently visit, when Rihannas album artwork leaked online here is what one memeber had posted. 




"Omg at you editing. I'm buying both because they're different covers. Usually Ill just get the deluxe."

This quote shows that some die hard fans are willing to spend more to buy both albums, which suggests that this is a way for record labels to increase revenue from album sales






Another thing that artist have done in the past are contest with their album artwork. Janet Jackson had done this type of contest. Fans were able to create and submit their own album cover design, with four winners being chosen by Jackson herself. The first million copies of the album are published with these fan-created covers. The concept of the contest was to create an image that best celebrates Jackson's past twenty years. Images that span over twenty years of Jackson's career were made available for download for use in creating the design. Here are the designs. 


Janet Jacksons "20 Year Old" (2006)




I dont know what Jackson was thinking, I personally think these album artworks are hideous. 




Heres the Official cover which is MUCH better.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like album art exemplifies the creativity of the music your about to hear. The craziest album covers usually get my eye first and then I slowly look at the others. But since the crazy covers caught my eye first it might make it harder for me to "wowed" by anything else. So I think they do help increase sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never thought about having different cover meaning more sales. I don't buy cds much so every time I go into a record store and when I see many different covers, I think its a different album. This was really good to know and is very useful.

    ReplyDelete